Writing a memoir is an emotional journey that is both personal and daunting. I was fortunate to work with Ellie on mine.
--Gordon Miller, Lost Boy from a Line of Heroes
- Buttke, Robert. The Martin Buttke Family: From Prussia to the Prairies. Twin Brooks Publishing, forthcoming
- Cox, Candace E. Living Daily: Alexander Technique for Parkinson's Disease. Published 2019. Candace is featured in a Body Wisdom podcast with host Tami Bulmash.
- McNaught, Alexander D. A Place Called Wallbridge. Epic Press, 2016. Alex has become a local authority on the history of Wallbridge, a village in Hastings County that no longer exists but that once was a lively civic centre with tradespeople , a cheese factory, a school, church and more. I rewrote the manuscript to help Alex preserve this fascinating heritage.
- Mundle, Robert. How to Be an Even Better Listener: A Practical Guide for Hospice and Palliative Care Volunteers. London, UK: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2019. The book has become the centrepiece for Robert Mundle Productions, which offers educational workshops, talks, and podcasts on spiritual health for professionals and volunteers. I was delighted to be interviewed for his podcast on "how editors help authors."
- Strouhal, Frantisek, Chantal Robert, and Jakub Strouhal. Illuminations: Art Embracing Awareness. Mirage Studios, 2019. The prose poems and reflections in this luminous book invite readers to slow down, breathe, and see. Visit Frantisek Strouhal Fine Art for book reviews and luminous photography.
As a novice writer working on my first major work, I can’t thank you enough for guiding me through the editing process to ensure that my manuscript was a good as it could be. You were amazing to work with. Your skills in all the aspects of editing brought For a Better Life to a level that would never have been possible without you.
--John Van Immerseel
"Choosing an editor who will be the right fit for you and your book can be a daunting task. I felt that Ellie really understood the goal of my book and most importantly the tone I was hoping to achieve.”
- Dorothy WRight, Side Effects
A Nurse's journey through secondary traumatic stress
When we began to write this book, we knew this venture was going to be unlike anything we’ve done before. But we never imagined how far we’d journey beyond our comfort zone. Art Embracing Awareness wouldn’t have been possible without assistance, and so we want to extend our deepest thanks to Ellie Barton, our editor, for her ongoing support and insightful feedback in transforming our prose/poems into this book. You are a gift to us.
—Frantisek Strouhal and Chantal Robert
Selected scholarly books
- Dewar, Kenneth C. Frank Underhill and the Politics of Ideas. Foreword by Bob Rae. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015
- Ludlow, Peter. The Canny Scot: Archbishop James Morrison of Antigonish. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015
hISTORY AND RELIGION
- Ahrari, Ehsan M. The Islamic Challenge and the United States. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2016.
- Axworthy, Thomas S., ed. Bridging the Divide: Religious Dialogue and Universal Ethics. Foreword by Helmut Schmidt. Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2008
- Bramadat, Paul, and Matthias Koenig, eds. International Migration and the Governance of Religious Diversity. Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2009
- Clarke, Brian, and Stuart Macdonald, eds. Leaving Christianity: Changing Allegiances in Canada, 1945-2011. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2017
- Jarraway, David R. Wallace Stevens among Others. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015
- Leroux, Louis Patrick, and Charles R. Batson, eds. Cirque Global: Quebec’s Expanding Circus Boundaries. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2016
- Murray, Jennifer. Reading Alice Munro with Jacques Lacan. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2016
- Zychowicz, Jessica. Superfluous Women: Art, Feminism, and Revolution in Twenty-First-Century Ukraine. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2020
Health Care, education, public policy
- Banting, Keith G., Richard P. Chaykowski, and Steven F. Lehrer, eds. Thinking Outside the Box: Innovation in Policy Ideas. Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015
- Carson, A. Scott, Jeffrey Dixon, and Kim Richard Nossal, eds. Toward a Healthcare Strategy for Canadians. Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015
- Elwick, James. Making a Grade: Victorian Examinations and the Development of Standardized Tests. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2021.
- Lazar, Harvey, John N. Lavis, Pierre-Gerlier Forest, and John Church, eds. Paradigm Freeze: Why Is It So Hard to Reform Health-Care Policy in Canada? Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2013
- Nieuwenhuysen, John, Howard Duncan, and Stine Neerup, eds. International Migration in Uncertain Times. Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2012
- Purchase, Bryne. Navigating the Titanic: Economic Growth, Energy, and the Failure of Governance. Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2013
JOURNALS & Reports
I edited dozens of articles as a copy editor and proofreader for Canadian Public Policy and the Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health from 2005 to 2015. In 2017 and 2018 I edited several reports for the Environmental Sciences Group at the Royal Military College of Canada. As a result of the style guide I developed, the Environmental Sciences Group no longer needs an editor!
We very much enjoyed working with Ellie on the editing process of Cirque Global. She was a careful, insightful, and respectful reader, always open to discussion but also extremely well-versed in academic writing. Unfailingly professional and a pleasure to exchange emails and ideas with, we warmly recommend Ellie for copy editing and stylistic editing.
– Louis Patrick Leroux and Charles R. Batson, eds., Cirque Global: Quebec's Expanding Circus Boundaries