When you send me an email, a conversation begins ...
I try to work with you in whatever way suits you best. Some authors love to talk on the phone, whereas others prefer email or zoom. Some authors like to answer my questions as they arise, whereas others like to get all my questions in one batch. Some authors want to be in touch often, whereas others are happy with occasional email exchanges.
Usually, our collaboration involves these steps:
- I'll send you an author questionnaire so that I can learn more about your background as a writer and your goals for the manuscript.
- We'll exchange a few emails and maybe meet on Zoom. I'll explain the different levels of editing to help you decide what type of editing is right for you. We'll discuss the cost and timeline.
- Once we agree on the details, I'll draft an editorial agreement for your review. The agreement puts in writing what I will do, when, and the cost. I use an editorial agreement based on a template developed by Editors Canada.
- I request a partial payment, usually one-third of the cost, on acceptance of the editorial agreement. I'll send you an invoice for your records. The final payment is due on completion of the edit.
- I'll be in touch during the edit so that there won't be any big surprises.
- You'll receive the editorial letter or edited manuscript on the date we've agreed on.
- I'll arrange a follow-up phone or Zoom call to answer any questions you may have. It's up to you when to schedule this call. You can also email me with questions as you revise.
Even though we have never met, through our extensive correspondence, you became part of our family. No wonder Sharon was misty-eyed today when talking about you and your personal commitment to our book. Exchanging emails with you about various chapters of my book, and responding to your very intelligent and incisive queries, was an experience that will stay with me for a long time. It was like I was having a dialogue with you on an ongoing basis.
Ehsan M. Ahrari, author of The Islamic Challenge and the United States